Friday, December 22, 2017

Apple pie



There are many reasons for this apple pie! My son has been asking me to make him apple pie for days now!! I have had the mini-apple pie pan that I have been meaning to use for more than a year now!! We went apple picking and even brought apples for the pie but never made them! I even got the crust couple of weeks ago but only on Thanksgiving Day did I eventually get around to making the pies! There is a story behind that too.. My husband was very sick on Thanksgiving day and was resting. The kids and I were pottering around the house with nothing much to do. When my son went to take a nap, I told my daughter that we should make the pie. We got together and made the pie.



 Really, this pie was super easy to make!! Made me wonder why it took me so long to make it!! Anyways, when my son woke up from his nap and wandered into the kitchen, he had a puzzled look on his face. He said," mommy, I smell something good!!" When I showed him the pie, he was beyond thrilled! He wanted to eat one immediately. He was super delighted that he had his own personal pie!! 



Believe me when I tell you guys that he did not move from that chair until the entire pie was all gone!! Isn't that just cute!! For me, the pie had served it's purpose. I had made 4 mini-pies. Of the remaining three, I gave one to my neighbor and brought two with me to my friend's place when we came for dinner. 



I never realized that making apple pie was this easy! I would have made it ages ago!! 



Servings: 4 ( 1 pie per person)


Prep time: 20-30 mins Cook time: 40-45 minsTotal time: 60-75 mins ( not including the cooling time).


Ingredients:


For the filling: 

Apples: 6 medium sized, peeled and thinly sliced.
Brown sugar: 3/4 cup
Cornflour: 1 tbsp
All purpose flour: 1 tbsp
Cinnamon powder: 1 tsp
Nutmeg: 1/8 tsp
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Lemon juice: 1 tbsp

For the crust:

1 box ready-made rolled pie crust. I used Pillsbury.


Method: 


Preheat the oven to 425 deg F.

In a bowl gently mix together the sliced apples, sugar, salt, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and lemon juice. Keep aside. 

Thaw the crust as per instructions on box. 

Unroll one pie crust on the clean counter top or cutting board. Using the cookie cutter, cut 4 circles. 



Place one each in each of the pie moulds of the pie pan. Fill each of them with the prepared filling until 3/4 th full. 


Cut 4 more smaller circles using the cookie cutter. Place each of them on the pie filled moulds. 


Stick the edges together. Make holes on the top crust. 



Brush the top crust with milk. 

Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 15 mins. 

After 15 mins, reduce the temperature of the oven to 350 deg F . Using 2-3 inch wide strips of foil, cover the edges of each pie. 



Bake for another 30 mins. When done take it out and place it on the cooling rack to cool down. 



Serve as is or ala mode with ice cream or whipped cream!!


Enjoy!!

I am sharing these delicious cooking at my dear friend Angie's Fiesta Friday #203. If you haven't partied there yet, you should. It is super fun!

Cooking made easy:


If you don't have the mini pie pan, you can make the pie using the regular 9 inch  pie pan. Use one rolled crust for the bottom. Fill it until 3/4 full, place the other on top. Crimp edges together. Using a sharp knife, make slits in the top crust in any pattern that you wish. Baking time is similar as before. 

Tip for healthy living: 


Brown sugar is healthier than the white granulated sugar as it tends to be less processed. You can also use other naturally occurring or less processed sugars such as raw sugar, jaggery and honey.

Food for thought:




Failure will never overtake me if my desire to succeed is strong enough. Og Mandino


Please do share your thoughts. Your opinion matters!





Let us stay connected on Facebook Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram | Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment